25 Eco-Friendly Alternatives To Everyday Household Items
You've heard us talk before about how bad plastic and other single-use items are for the environment, so we won't go into all the reasons and statistics again here. Needless to say, the problem isn't getting any better and the responsibility remains on all of us to do our part and lessed our reliance on items that quickly become trash.
If you can, try to to re-use and re-purpose any and all items. For some great tips, check out our other blog: 40 Creative Ways to Upcycle. You might want to try secondhand too, you can aquire many items in great condition for a fraction of the full price.
With a smaller trash footprint as our goal in mind, we've compiled a list of 25 items to help you replace everyday essentials with eco-friendly alternatives without any inconvenience. So here we go:
- Reusable water bottle
- Natural beauty products (e.g., essential oils, honey, oatmeal, avocado)
- Reusable coffee filters
- Shoes made out of recycled materials (e.g., tyres, yoga mats, chewing gum)
- Loose leaf tea, not bags
- Eyewear made from natural materials (e.g., wood and bamboo)
- Reusable cloth diapers (nappies)
- Biodegradable trash bags
- Natural beeswax or soy food wraps
- Reusable glass, ceramic or metal food storage containers
- Bamboo or long-lasting toothbrush with a detachable brush head
- Solar powered phone charger
- Ballpoint pens made out of recycled materials (e.g., water bottles)
- Rechargeable batteries
- An e-reader [electronic book]
- Reusable grocery bags
- Watches made out of sustainable materials (e.g., bamboo,
- Reusable menstrual cups and pads
- Shamboo and conditioner bars, not bottles
- A shower timer and/or showerhead that uses 75% less water
- LED light bulbs
- Reusable straws (e.g., glass, bamboo)
- Compostable cutlery and bowls (e.g., palm leaf, corn)
- Natural laundry detergent and cleaning products (e.g., baking soda, vinegar)
And, last but not least, there is even reusable toiler paper!
Do you have any more good ideas to add? Please let us know in the Comment section below.